Saturday, March 16, 2013

Books

I just finished this book, A Fault In Our Stars, by John Green.
Love. Teenagers. Cancer.
When I say finished it, I mean absorbed it. Through my eyes and straight to my heart.
It was beautiful, sad, hopeful, funny, desperate.
He may be my new favourite author. A rival to the great Johnathon Tropper. A funnier James Frey.
I attend a monthly bookclub, where I consistently drink too much wine and stay up far past my bedtime. But it is all worth it for that night out, talking books.
Last month we read Magician, (Raymond E Feist) a classic fantasy book that is ridiculously big, with terribly small font. An exciting story, but tempered for me due to far too many characters with long winded names and titles from many made up places. Hard to keep track of them all.
Last year my favourite was a book called Loving Frank, written about the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright. It was 'historical fiction', an amazing story with a terrible end. If you read it, whatever you do Do Not read up on him beforehand. Total spoiler.
I'm eagerly awaiting the final instalment of the Sookie Stackhouse series, which is to be released soon. I'm determined to finish 'All That I Am', by Anna Funder, which has been on my bedside table for many months now.
At least it hasn't yet been relegated to a drawer, like 'The Life Of Pi' before it, or 'The Happiness Trap' by Ross Harris. Some people keep sex toys in their bottom drawer - mine is more a spot for books I just didn't love enough to finish....but maybe I will....one day.
Next for book club is 'Sweet Tooth', by Ian McKewen. There is a small chance this will be a little too high brow for my low to medium brow size, but I'll give it a shot. Just in case I'll be off to my local (library) shortly, to see if it's in stock.
In the meantime next cab off the rank (book off the shelf?) is A Fortunate Life, AB Facey. They say it's a classic, and if that's what They say, then I'm definitely in.



1 comment:

  1. I haven't had (made?) much time to read lately & I miss it. I normally struggle with 'literary classics', like your pile they tend to get left. But I did enjoy Atonement, so Sweet Tooth may be good. I'll have to get Loving Frank as I do like Frank Lloyd Wright. And I'll be sure not to look up anything about him before hand :)

    ReplyDelete